Saturday, January 24, 2009

Candied Orange Rinds

Photobucket

Torn between health & a sugar tooth, I decided to do something Martha Stewartly yesterday to satisfy both needs. Although I modified the recipe so that I would make half the original batch, I tried parikha's Orangettes and they seemed to be a hit!

I won't lie, it is a process. The slicing of the oranges is very time-consuming, not to mention all of the boiling-draining-boiling-draining-boiling routine. I found that this technique is not only easier, but was a lot nicer looking: when cutting the orange rind to remove from the orange, section it first only two ways...vertically and horizontally around the orange. After you do this, carefully remove the four sections from the orange. Cut the edges of the sections so that they look more rectangular, and slice it lengthwise into thin strips (about 1/8'' if you want more bang for your buck).

Photobucket

I did learn that I'm not much of a rind-fan, but I did seem to find that my family enjoyed the treat. I even passed them around at my work. They sure do look artsy & yummy though!

No comments: