Sunday, March 30, 2008

Take a "breather."

There are a lot of things I regret in life. One of them is reading too fast through the "classics" in high school. I plan to reread The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Giver, and maybe one day read The Scarlett Letter (since our class read The Crucible instead).

I've been really stressed out lately, and found some rejuvenation from reading my own books. I started and finished For One More Day by Mitch Albom last night...which I recommend to anyone who needs a little reminder that you should appreciate (and show your appreciation to) your loved ones, because you won't be with them forever. This story is a tale of a man who gets one more day with his loved one, and how he makes the most of it.
I didn't get senioritis in high school. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to get out, because quite frankly...their heavily enforced hall bathroom and hall "passes" contradicts the whole "college preparation" and "you're an adult, so act like one" school mentality.

But now...6 weeks left. I'm on the final last-stretch. I'm excited. I'm scared (what am I really going to be?...quick, quick, decide! Here comes the loan bills!). I'm just so darn worn out. Even the smallest paper is a "waste of my time" now. I don't want to read their assignments. I don't want to study their courses. I don't want to sit in their class for 50-150 minutes. I don't want to take their exams. But I do it. All I want right now is to take a vacation-no school, no "real life" job searching (or not searching)-and grab a pile of "my books" and my knitting bag, and relax by a damn waterfall or something pleasant. Throw in a pina colada, will ya?

I started a new pattern using my wonderful alpaca silk yarn I just got. However, it croaked. It was going to have a seed stitch edge that buttons (inspired by Ysolda), and an "entwined leaf" pattern I created on whim on excel. But, I can't do larger than a size 6 without making the stockinette look icky. I felt like I needed to add another 14 more stitches to the body to give it a more noticeable width than the seed stitch. After it was out of the needles, I tried it on...and it wasn't as tight as I imagined. But, my intuition was right...I should make it more slouchy to enjoy it more. I just hope when I do it again, I don't run out of yarn. It was up to 130 stitches before...when it was tighter that I wished.

No comments: