Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Quick Stroll Down Memory Lane

My friend Liz mentioned about Lotus Knits' "first finished knitted project competition." Naturally, the prize is yarn! Hand-dyed, to make things even sweeter! I was baffled when I looked through my knitting projects archives on my computer, and there were no pictures on my first knitting projects! So, I had to scavenge around the house looking for my first finished FO, a scarf, that I selflessly gave away to my mother, like a good little teenager. lol. Please refer me as your informant to the contest if you enter! Thanks! :) So here she be! Drum roll please!! ....


About 3 1/2 years ago, I used about 2 skeins of homespun on size 9 needles to make this scarf. The cast on was somewhere around 40 stitches, so this scarf took me a good month or so. However, the results were satisfying. I would even wear it now... the colors look so pretty and vibrant in person.

For the rules, I quote Lotus Knits:
"All you have to do to enter the contest is:1.) post a picture on your blog of your first finished knitted item OR what's next in your queue that you *haven't* cast on for yet and 2.) make sure to mention this contest! Scarf, dishcloth, sweater, whatever! I wanna see! Then, 3.) email me at lotusknits@gmail.com (or leave a comment) to let me know you've posted so I can come check out your blog! Let me know what blog you saw the contest on, because for every person that mentions your blog as a referral, you get another entry into the contest."
***************************************************************************

NOT FOR JOE'S EYES!!!! YOUR GIFT PACKAGE IS IN THIS POST! DON'T LOOK.

***************************************************************************
So, what have I been up to lately? Well, for one thing: work. I have two jobs going on right now. However, I started my pregnant friend's baby cardigan. I've got the pattern written up on the computer already. I just have to finish it. It needs a few more increases, straight knitting, sleeves then voila... "Sweet As Candy" cardigan in a flash!

Also, I've been working on Joe's care package, since he's at Iowa right now taking summer classes. He's getting these incredibly awesome "office socks" that I designed just for him. It's doubled up lace weight on size two needles. I swear Joe, if your still reading this... I'm keeping the socks. He promised to not look at this post because I really wanted to show you all.

I'm using the "Moss" yarn that I specifically dyed with him in mind, since he absolutely loves green. I think you can see the different specks of green if you click on the picture. edit: if you squint. The picture link won't blow up for some reason.

It's frickin' 100 degrees in my house again, so I obviously can't continue knitting both projects. Oh well, I still need to keep reading Harry Potter 5 & 6.

I also started my "knitting mystery" book last night! Exciting! I love it already! Hopefully it will be good enough one day to consider publishing! Whoo hoo!

6 comments:

LotusKnits said...

Thanks for entering the contest! That scarf is awesome! It must have taken you forever! It looks great. Yay for first projects!

KnittingHawkeye said...

what size needles are the socks on, 2s?
I'm working on my second pair of Genevieves right now for my sockapalooza pal
finally found the yarn. . . . frustrating as hell

KnittingHawkeye said...

she uses Kona Yarn

Anonymous said...

ahh, my first FO was also a scarf in homespun! 4..5..6? years later I actually still do like homespun occasionally. Some of the colorways are just lovely...I actually still do wear that scarf!

Hege said...

Your scarf looks wonderful and snuggly. I love garter stitch. The green yarn you dyed is gorgeous! I need to learn :)

Laural said...

Everything looks great! I knew it could be a cardigan! I started one for my son but ripped to make it larger.